HIA Meeting, Saturday July 9 – Stock Market Roundtable
Cleve Fontenot: chairman
SIGs start at 8:30am
Main program at 11:00am
HIA’s July 9, 2016 Agenda
— 08:30 AM —
Stock Market SIG: Speaker: Jeff Jacobi
Topic: “Growth Stocks and Brexit”
Jeff will then discuss his portfolio of growth stocks. Jeff will also discuss the impact of Brexit and growth stocks. Leigh is absent this meeting.
Trading 101 SIG: Speaker: John Godell
Topics: Review Big Picture
Summarize and Review our Psychology Study.
— 09:30 AM –
Market Outlook SIG: Speakers: Jimmy Hixson
Topics: Is the Bear still alive and well?
Jimmy will review the long and short term market outlook
— 10:45 AM –
Club Business: President: Robert Tchoryk
— 11:00 AM –
Main Meeting: Roundtable Discussion – Cleve Fontenot: Moderator
Panelists: Dan Marburger, Jeff Friedberg and Larry Smith.
The roundtable discussion will proceed in the following sequence:
* We will begin the discussion with a five (5) minute summary by each panelist of the outlook for the economy and the stock market during the first half of 2016.
* After the initial presentations on the expectations of the economy and the stock market, each panelist will have two (2) minutes to pose questions to other panelists on their respective outlooks of the economy and the stock market. You may also wish to use some or all of this time to add to your initial presentation on the economy and stock market outlook.
* In the next section of the roundtable, each panelist will have six (6) minutes to present his stock recommendations/picks (or ETF’s, MLP’s, REITs, Mutual Funds, Bonds, or cash) in the investing economy that the panelist expects during the remainder of the year. Of course, the panelist can either go long or short. You may also wish to give your normal holding period in real life and setting sell targets and the like. It would also seem appropriate to give the audience your reasoning on why the strategy you are recommending is likely to make money over the course of the remainder of the year.
* Each panelist will then be given two minutes to ask questions of the other panelists.
The above roundtable discussion should take about 40 minutes. We will then proceed to the Q & A from the members. This should leave sufficient time for Q & A until 12:15. At that time we will close off the official questioning period; however, if you are available, members can stay until 12:30 for further discussions. This is what was done at the January Roundtable and it appeared to work well.
Upcoming HIA Programs
The following programs are planned for future HIA meetings.
- September 9: Program - John O'Keefe: Investor Relations - University Center
- October 21(THIRD SATURDAY): Rohit Milstein: Low Volatility Investing - University Center
- November 11: Program TBA - University Center
- December 9: Program TBA - University Center
Houston Investors Association usually meets on the second Saturday of each month at the University of Houston central campus, in the University Center (Student Center South, building 565) . The usual meeting rooms are on the second floor. The date and rooms may vary, so check the published meeting notice.
Usual Meeting Location
Note that the official building address (4455 University Dr.) is not the physical address! Follow the map!
Parking is available in parking lot 20A to the east of the UC, on Calhoun. Other parking is sometimes available, but on your first visit it is easier to park in lot 20A.